Catering Permit

On behalf of Carlin Edwards Brown PLLC on Wednesday, January 15, 2014.

Posted by: Judy Parker
May 10, 2011

This afternoon, Tuesday April 19, 2011, Governor Rick Snyder signed Senate Bill No. 5 and enacted the Catering Permit to expand the services licensees can make available to the public. This new addition to the Michigan Liquor Control Act allows public on-premise licensees, as well as off-premise SDM or SDD licensees, that are also licensed by the State as a food service establishment or a retail food establishment under the Food Act of 2000, to acquire a Catering Permit from the MLCC.

This new Permit will allow the qualified licensee to sell and deliver beer, wine and spirits in the original containers as long as the sale is not by the glass or drink and the permit holder serves the beer, wine and spirits at a private event. A private event is one where no money is charged to attend the event or purchase alcoholic beverages and is not open to the public at large. An example would be a party at a private home or office or similar off premise location. The licensee can cater to multiple locations during the same time period. The permit holder or its employee must have completed an approved server training program and must verify that the person receiving the alcoholic beverages is of legal age to do so in Michigan. The delivery person must also have on his or her person written documentation certifying that the alcoholic beverages are being provided to a private event conducted under this Section of the Liquor Act. The annual fee for the permit is $100 and there is an application fee of $70 for the permit upon filing an application that the Commission is preparing.

This is a great opportunity to provide off site catering to private parties with the ability to now provide the alcoholic beverages along with the food service at the event. If you are interested in obtaining a Catering Permit please let us know or if you have any questions about this permit, give us a call.

Put Our Experience to Work for You

Contact us for a consultation with Carlin Edwards Brown PLLC

Send Us a Message
Hospitality Law Background For CEBH Law

We Cover the State of Michigan

From our offices in Metro Detroit, Oakland County, Lansing and Gaylord, we cover the entire state of Michigan. We work with the Michigan Liquor Control Commission on a daily basis and have strong working relationships with state and local government decision makers around the state. We are also members in a national licensing network of liquor law firms, allowing us to provide representation to national and regional operators wishing to expand in other states.

Map of CEBH Hospitality Law Locations In Michigan
Gaylord Office
213 E. Main St. Second Floor
Gaylord, MI 49735
Phone: (989)251-1041
Fax: (989)688-5901
Lansing Office
6017 W. St. Joe Hwy, Suite 202
Lansing, MI 48917
Phone: (517)321-4616
Fax: (517)321-4642
Metro Detroit / Oakland County Office
423 N. Main Street, Suite 220
Royal Oak, MI 48067
Phone: (248)816-5000
Fax: (248)816-5115
Map of CEBH Law Hospitality Law Office Locations
Contact Us
close slider

    How would you like to be contacted?

    Legal Disclaimer ImageThe use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.

    Privacy Policy.