Michael J. Brown (“Mike”)
Liquor License Attorney Michael J. Brown
Location: Metro Detroit, Michigan
Contact: Contact Me
Mr. Brown received his J.D. from the University of Illinois College of Law in 1989 and his B.A. from the James Madison College and Honors College at Michigan State University in 1986. He was admitted to the Michigan Bar in 1989, the U.S. District Court for the Eastern and Western Districts of Michigan in 1990 and the United States Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit in 1991.
Mr. Brown’s practice focuses on state regulatory and administrative law, with strong emphasis on Michigan liquor licensing and violation issues. He represents bars, restaurants, hotels, sports venues, and other liquor-license holders before the Michigan Liquor Control Commission. He conducts liquor violation hearings throughout the State of Michigan. Mr. Brown served for many years as the general counsel to the Michigan Licensed Beverage Association, while also providing counsel to several other Michigan-based trade associations on a variety of legal and regulatory matters.
Mr. Brown also served for many years as Michigan regulatory counsel for MillerCoors and Rite Aid Corporation. Mr. Brown has written numerous articles for the Michigan edition of the Beverage Journal on liquor licensing and violation issues. He has conducted numerous seminars, workshops and in-house presentations regarding liquor liability and related restaurant and alcohol management issues. Mr. Brown has also authored legislation and administrative rules on various liquor law matters. Mr. Brown’s regulatory practice included the areas of telecommunications and public utility law before the Michigan Public Service Commission, representing pharmacists before the Michigan Board of Pharmacy, lottery and gaming licensing, and representation before several other state agencies near his office in Lansing.
Mr. Brown was a member of the Academy of Hospitality Industry Attorneys, the Alcohol Beverage and Hospitality Law Practice Committee of the State Bar of Michigan, the Alliance of Alcohol Industry Attorneys and Consultants, and the National Association of Alcohol Beverage Licensing Attorneys. Mr. Brown is also an Associate Member of the Michigan Licensed Beverage Association, the Michigan Restaurant Association, and the National Restaurant Association.
Areas of Practice
- Regulatory and Administrative Law
- Liquor Licensing and Violation Issues
- Michigan, 1989
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of Michigan, 1990
- U.S. District Court Western District of Michigan, 1990
- U.S. Court of Appeals 6th Circuit, 1991
- University of Illinois College of Law, Champaign, Illinois
- J.D. – 1989
- Michigan State University, East Lansing, Michigan
- B.A. – 1986 (With Honors)
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Academy of Hospitality Industry Attorneys, Member
- State Bar of Michigan, Member, Alcohol Beverage and Hospitality Law Practice Committee
- Alliance of Alcohol Industry Attorneys and Consultants, Member
- National Association of Alcohol Beverage Licensing Attorneys, Member